Saturday, April 3, 2010

cherry blossom festival + knitting

Yesterday I went to an "event" that you've probably heard of, or at least seen pictures of. Planted around the Washington DC Tidal Basin are a lot of(ok, ok...I didn't count them. I don't know how many. A lot.) cherry trees. They're the kind of pretty, flowering trees that could ever possibly compel me to wade through crowds of summer-y tourists to see.

Other than an awesome chance to take great pictures, it's also an interesting peoplewatching experience. (No, I didn't take pictures of strangers. That I remember.) Of the more common species of tourist(or appearing to be tourist) I spotted: Pretty Female in Skimpy Dress and Illogical Sandals, Trendy Teen Who Must Wear Converse Everywhere, and Pseudo-Indie Guy Biologically Grafted to His Cell Phone.

Pushing these sad-but-hilarious observations aside, I took some other very nice pictures yesterday(click on any picture you'd like to make bigger):



(Concerning the woman in the photos that is not me: no, I did not creep up on a stranger. This is my lovely friend M who takes infinitely lovelier pictures than I do. The two guys in the photos are Pendragon and Mr. Universe.)

And now, from the knitting world...

This will eventually be Carson's Lantern, a pattern I'm writing for the knitting book I want to print. It will go along with my first novel, and have things from the story or things with inspired themes. I'm doing it on size 1 circular needles, with grey Simply Soft, and a type of glow-in-the-dark yarn from Bernat.

The sleeve for a sweater I started a long time ago. As in, September. I finished the body for it early March. I'd originally intended to wear it to the theater when I saw Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland, but that didn't happen. (yes, I was inspired by the Mad Hatter. You don't miss a thing.) It will hopefully be finished in time for the weather to cool off again, at which point I shall pack it to Hatty's house for a scone and nonsense-laden tea party.


This one is kind of hard. The Red Heart yarn gets really tight when you use smaller needles, but with some messing with it, it's fine. This is the head of a plushie dragon I'm working on, also for that knitting book. She(yes, it's a she) is going to be three feet long, but I'm only at about a foot. It's gotten so big that when I do the underside I have to put the head on my shoulder and hug the thing with my neck. I know I could take the stuffing out, but the curves would be killer to go back and fill, and I want to know how it looks as I go along. I'm using that gigantic One Pound Red Heart stuff, and size 6 DPNs. If you want to test this pattern, send me a message. It requires knowledge of wrapped stitches, M1 increasing and left-facing decreasing.

No comments:

Post a Comment