Monday, April 26, 2010

Counterculture Heresy: Nonconformity

"Who's to decide what is proper? What if 'proper' was wearing a codfish on your head? Would you do it then? I think you would."
-Alice Kingsley

I mean, seriously.

There's an alarming lack of originality among the teenagers of this particular year(as I'm sure is also true of adults, but that would make this post far too long). The "normal" kids are nothing more than copies of a standard no one can spell out and, as a result, they copy off each other. I wouldn't normally care what those in my age range choose to do, for it's not up to me to pound the uncommon trait of Common Sense into anyone's head, but there's one thing that particularly annoys me.

People are unoriginal. They copy each other because they have no imagination. And, if they do, they're too afraid to use it, because they don't trust themselves enough to pull it off. What I really don't get is how the thought that they are the unique ones can ever cross their minds. I don't mind people being flaky and immature, so long as they're honest.

I have no idea who's reading this, but I have a dare for you, which consists of a few parts. If someone asks for your opinion, give it to them. If everyone is wearing red because it's the "cool" thing to do, wear blue if you want. If all your friends are hyped up on a band that you think is disgusting, don't buy the album. Never think that residence in the majority makes you 'a-ok' or Makes Might Right.

Trust yourself and your own style. If you really want to be interesting, don't base yourself on anyone. Even if people think you're wierd. Even if they hate you. It will probably be cause they don't have power over you anymore, or that they envy your confidence, because it's something they're afraid to reach out and take for themselves. It's easy to be like everyone else. Oh. So. Simple.

"If all the world hated you, and believed you wicked, while your own conscience approved you, and absolved you from guilt, you would not be without friends."
-Helen Burns, Jane Eyre

2 comments:

  1. So I looked at your profile and was like "Hey this person is like my twin," then I read your blog and was like "No, I am no where near as good a writer..." Now, I'm following you :D

    ReplyDelete