Saturday, June 19, 2010

As Recited by Edwin Carp

"Feet" by Scoutmaster Allen
A Poem glorifying the pedal extremities.

You need feet to stand up straight with,
You need feet to kick your friends,
You need feet to keep your socks on,
And stop your legs from fraying at the ends.
You need feet to stand on tippy-toe,
Or to dance the hootchie-koo.
Yes, the whole world needs feet for something,
And I need feet to run away from you.

"Courage"

There came a giant to my door,
A giant big and strong.
His arms were thirty inches thick,
His legs were twelve yards long.

He scowled, he frowned,
He shook the ground,
I trembled through and through.
And then I looked him in the face,
And said, "Who cares for you?"

And he hit me.

"Perseverance"

Somebody said it couldn't be done,
But he with a chuckle replied,
"Maybe it couldn't, but I will be one,
Who'll never say 'No!' 'til I've tried."

So he buckled right in,
With a trace of a grin
On his face, if he worried he hid it.
And he tackled the thing that couldn't be done,

And he couldn't do it.

2 comments:

  1. Hahahaha, I did "Perseverance" for a poetry contest for school when I was small. Maybe like, 8 or 9? I lost, but I totally bet I would have won if I ended like that. That totally beats the rest of the poem :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been considering memorizing a couple or all of them. They're absolutely brilliant.

    Now, I think I will.

    ReplyDelete